Sunday, November 14, 2010

JTS Caboose

That time of the year has returned!!! Weather starting to cool off, air quality good again...and "visions of JTS trains dance in our heads"!! Makes me long for the return to the "hills and the desert".

Must say it has indeed been a while; esp for me...and not just cause of the summer heat. The home remodeling/building business in non-existent and time are to say the least "tough". Makes for doing extra and special things difficult.

That having been said, I'm still trying. And with that in mind, coupled w/the "lure of the high country and trains" want to get back and see how ole 529 is persisting. Had hoped to finish residing the one side last year ;almost but not quite. So; goal for this year is to complete that segment and then start on the other side.

Initially gave consideration to just re-conditioning the second side, but now with the new siding on; the remaing side looks bad...on with it....Hey; after all: it's just time and money!!!!

I have some photos of the interior of the 529 in its original configuration that I obtained from Espee Historical. Soon as I can get rd to it, will post in the 529 along with the already posted original newspaper article and the model. Would try to post here on the blog, but that's above my pay grade (ability!!)

Ole 529 has quite a history from its long haul days to its final time as a transfer unit. (Just makes it all the more amazing that JTS acquired it and why it needs to be preserved) It has been rebuilt three times by Espee. If I can survive and persevere, I'd like to put her back in the original configuration. ....And for those of you who have asked, YES, it did have a "crapper" and an enclosure. A good ole "straight thru the floor type". Imagine what that must have been like rolloin down the rails in the winter time!!!! Oh well, when ya gotta go...ya gotta go!!!! Right. Had drop-down sleeping bunks as well.

Thanks to TA for getting the log-in info to me so I can get the blog going again. My computer completely was eaten up and I lost my address and everything.

Also: any one able to make a monetary contribution to the continued efforts; such would be much appreciated. This process is expensive. Make the contribution to JTS/Caboose fund....and thxz from me and 529.

HAPPY TRAININ!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Well
    The #529 work is back on as of 11/11/17
    My name is Brett Minor Sr. and I have taken over the project----It will take time but I know we can get it done!!
    Until then--anyone wanting to help--just contact me @ #909-585-6781
    Thanks
    Brett
    On & Off Member since 2004

    ReplyDelete